Federal Register Information
This information is not available.
DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION
Federal Aviation Administration
14 CFR Part 39
Amendment 39-2148; AD 75-08-03
Airworthiness Directives; Piper Models PA-28-140, PA-28-150, PA-28-151, PA-28-160, PA-28-S-160, PA-28-180, PA-28-S-180, PA-28R-180, and PA-28R-200 Airplanes
PDF Copy (If Available):
AGENCY: Federal Aviation Administration, DOT
DATES: Effective April 4, 1975.
75-08-03 PIPER AIRCRAFT CORPORATION: Amendment 39-2148. Applies to PA- 28-140, PA-28-150, PA-28-151, PA-28-160, PA-28-S-160, PA-28-180, PA-28-S-180, airplanes serial numbers 28-03, 28-1 thru 28-7525201; PA-28R-180, PA-28R-200 airplanes serial numbers 28R-30002 thru 28R-7535143; certificated in all categories.
To detect and correct unsecured fuel drain valves installed at the gascolator, accomplish the following or an equivalent method approved by Chief, Engineering and Manufacturing Branch, Southern Region:
(a) Prior to next flight, unless already accomplished, check the fuel gascolator drain valve, (Piper Part No. 492-022) to determine if it is tight in the fitting by attempting to turn the valve counter-clockwise by hand. This check may be performed by the pilot.
1. If the valve is loose, tighten by turning clockwise, check the drain for proper operation and tighten the lock seal nut (Piper Pat No. 477-677), if installed, all in accordance with FAR 43.
(b) Within the next 50 hours' time in service after the effective date of this AD, unless already accomplished, secure the valve in the gascolator fitting as follows:
1. Remove the fuel gascolator drain valve from the gascolator AN 915-1D fitting, (Piper Part No. 458-946), if installed. NOTE: Do not remove the valve if Loc-tite has been previously applied.
2. Unless already accomplished, install a lock seal nut (Piper Part NO. 477- 677). Install with seal toward AN 915-1D fitting.
3. Apply one (1) drop of Loc-tite (88-31) sealant, coating only the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th threads evenly. NOTE: Do not allow Loc-tite to enter the Fuel System.
4. Install drain valve into AN915-1D fitting with a minimum of 2 1/2 turns and a maximum of 3 1/2 turns.
5. Secure valve in place with lock seal nut.
Piper Service Bulletin 450 pertains to this subject.
The amendment becomes effective April 4, 1975.