Code of Federal Regulations
Temporary flight restrictions in national disaster areas in the State of Hawaii.
(a) When the Administrator has determined, pursuant to a request and justification provided by the Governor of the State of Hawaii, or the Governor's designee, that an inhabited area within a declared national disaster area in the State of Hawaii is in need of protection for humanitarian reasons, the Administrator will issue a Notice to Airmen (NOTAM) designating an area within which temporary flight restrictions apply. The Administrator will designate the extent and duration of the temporary flight restrictions necessary to provide for the protection of persons and property
on the surface.
(b) When a NOTAM has been issued in accordance with this section, no person may operate an aircraft within the designated airspace unless:
(1) That person has obtained authorization from the official in charge of associated emergency or disaster relief response activities, and is operating the aircraft under the conditions of that authorization;
(2) The aircraft is carrying law enforcement officials;
(3) The aircraft is carrying persons involved in an emergency or a legitimate scientific purpose;
(4) The aircraft is carrying properly accredited news persons, and that prior to entering the area, a flight plan is filed with the appropriate FAA or ATC facility specified in the NOTAM and the operation is conducted in compliance with the conditions and restrictions established by the official in charge of on-scene emergency response activities; or,
(5) The aircraft is operating in accordance with an ATC clearance or instruction.
(c) A NOTAM issued under this section is effective for 90 days or until the national disaster area designation is terminated, whichever comes first, unless terminated by notice or extended by the Administrator at the request of the Governor of the State of Hawaii or the Governor's designee.
The historical amendments of Part 91 are not included at this time. Part 91 was entered as of Amendment 91-255.
Notice of Proposed Rulemaking Actions:
Final Rule Actions: